Blogger Templates

Friday, June 3, 2011

A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness was next on my list. I had heard from a friend who heard from one of her friends it was really good so I dove in blindly. For maybe the first 100 pages or so I struggled to get into the story but after that I loved it. Vampires, witches, and a forbidden relationship, whats not to love! I think this was also technically an adult book but is probably fine for older teens too.

Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell.

5 out of 5 stars

0 comments: